(OPE-L) RE: Say's Law in Marxian Theories?

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 09:08:11 EST

While we're on the topic of the presence or absence of Say's Law
in Marxian theories,  is the following paper by Takuya Sato
relevant to our discussion?

http://www.gre.ac.uk/~fa03/iwgvt/files/00sato.rtf

Sato's paper "Marx's Concept of Service and the Criticism of Say's
Law: The Japanese Controversy Regarding Productive and
Unproductive Labour", as the title suggests,  primarily concerns a
different topic, i.e. whether service workers are productive or
unproductive of surplus value (an issue I recall discussing with
former member Jurriaan Bendien several years ago [1]).  My
question, though, is: does Marx's critique of Say on the topic
of  productive  and unproductive labour (and whether a service
is a commodity) have any relevance for our discussion now?

In solidarity, Jerry

[1] Discussion on whether service labour is productive or
unproductive took place in January, 1998 and September, 1999.
Jurriaan, Michael W, Ian H, Allin, Fred and others participated.