Re: (OPE-L) New Dialectics and Critical Realism

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 08:21:57 EST

Chris,

If the 'new dialectics' is partly a criticism of the 'old dialectics', has
any of its proponents taken under examination J.D. White, *Karl Marx and
the Intellectual Origins of Dialectical Materialism*?  That book addresses
precisely at least that part of the 'new dialectics' concern. The only
attention I've seen to it is a review by Sayers, which led to my own reply
in *Historical Materialism*, No. 8.  Neither considered any interface with
'new dialectics'.

Also, in my view, 'new dialectics' should confront the evidence for a
declining influence of Hegel on Marx's thought, Althusser or no Althusser.

Paul

Vol.21: Neoliberalism in Crisis, Accumulation, and Rosa Luxemburg's Legacy
RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY, Zarembka/Soederberg, eds., Elsevier Science
*********************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka