Re: (OPE-L) Remembering James F. Becker

From: Gary Mongiovi (MONGIOVG@STJOHNS.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 17:59:16 EST

Jim was one of my teachers too. I knew of his death when it happened and it saddened me greatly.  He was a profoundly kind and decent man. At the time I was his student I was still sorting through my own ideological issues: I was nowhere near as left-leaning as Jim was, and if truth be told I was quite suspicous of Marxism. But Jim was the first teacher I ever had who thought dialectically, and he at least convinced me that I needed to take historical materialism seriously. I guess that was the thin edge of a rather large wedge for me.  Thanks, Jerry, for your reminiscences, which brought to mind warm thoughts of a fine man.

Gary