Re: (OPE-L) Re: dialectics: 'new', 'systematic' and 'materialist'

From: Christopher Arthur (cjarthur@WAITROSE.COM)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 19:01:50 EST

Jerry
>develop, to dialectically derive, concepts ...."   I think this formulation
>is misleading since it  suggests that they as a group believe that the
>"method of inquiry" should be dialectical.  This is a position that Murray
>explicitly rejects (Ibid, pp. 160-1).  Chris, I think, shares Murray's view
>that  "the method of  inquiry must take its lead from the object being
>investigated."   This represents a point of contrast to "materialist
>dialectics",  doesn't it?

I think you conflate two issues here. Dialectically deriving concepts would
certainbly be sine qua non of systematic dialectic but this derivation
would be exhibited in the exposition of the system. This has nothing
necessarily to do with any method of inquiry. Personally I would strongly
distinguish and have some doubt as to whether there is any such thing as a
prescriptive method of inquiry. Murray's survey of the issues seems
judicious.

Chris

17 Bristol Road, Brighton, BN2 1AP, England