(OPE-L) RE: Systematic Dialectics and the Presentation of Historical Detail in Volume I of _Capital_

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 11:41:13 EST

Hi Andy.

A quick question and comment before I rush off to teach.

> Historical data is clearly in Marx's *presentation*, not just his
> *inquiry*. All but Hegel- inspired dialecticians conclude that it is
> essential to that presentation.

What is the *evidence* that the in-depth presentation of historical
data was *necessary* or *essential* for Marx's presentaion in
_Capital_?

So far, all I have heard amounts to -- it is there so Marx must have
thought that it was necessary and essential to the exposition. Excuse
me if I don't find that reasoning very convincing.

(As for your argument that to be able to present the essential
nature of capitalism as an 'organic system' we need to include
a lengthy historical exposition on its birth, and by inference, its
relation historically to feudalism, I believe that argument will
fall prey to an "infinite regression critique.")

Thanks again for your responses.

In solidarity, Jerry