(OPE-L) Book Editor Position at _Dollars & Sense_

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 09:15:38 EST

From the Dollars and Sense Collective

Please direct any questions to them at dollars@dollarsandsense.org.

Dollars & Sense, the 30-year-old progressive economics publisher based in Cambridge, Mass., seeks a co-editor to oversee and build our classroom books program. We publish an 8,000-circulation bimonthly magazine and nine book titles. Our classroom books introduce left perspectives into college courses in economics and other social sciences.
The books editor has primary responsibility for our book program. The editor plans and edits new editions of our classroom books, which include several anthologies of D&S magazine articles as well as two original texts, working with members of the D&S collective. S/he solicits and edits new material for the books and magazine, writes some original pieces, and develops new book titles. S/he oversees book production. Although his/her chief responsibility is for the books program, s/he works with the two magazine co-editors on planning magazine content as well.

The books editor is responsible for an expanding book promotion program, including direct mail, networking with college faculty and graduate students, conferences, and working with McGraw-Hill in a joint venture.  S/he monitors and reports on books sales and the performance of different promotion strategies.

As part of a team of two business and two other editorial staff, the books editor works closely with a volunteer collective of activists and social scientists committed to social justice and economic democracy. Staff members are automatically members of the D&S collective and attend Thursday evening collective meetings, where editorial and business decisions are made. All staff members share a range of administrative and clerical tasks in the office.

Excellent editing and administrative skills, progressive politics, and professional experience required. Advanced degree in economics or a related field desirable. Activist experience desirable. Position is 30 hours/week.  Salary: mid-20s with COLA + 3% annual raise, full health benefits, three weeks vacation.

Send resumé and writing and/or editing samples by April 15 to: Books Editor Search, Dollars & Sense, 740 Cambridge St., Cambridge, MA 02141 or e-mail dollars@dollarsandsense.org.