Re: (OPE-L) [Jurriaan on] Unproductive consumption

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 22:30:27 EDT

At 18:20 30/04/2004, Paul C wrote in response to my comment

> >          Doesn't the set of necessaries underlying the value of
> > labour-power have something to do with historically developed social needs,
> > which become second nature?
>
>I suspect that given time and mobility of capital,
>some historically developed social necessities might
>be found by the ruling class to be not so necessary
>after all.

Yes, I'm certain of that--- in fact they already have found that. The
question is whether the particular working class (in a given time and
place) is prepared to surrender to capital's view.

>I accept your argument that the actual wage is determined
>by conditions of class struggle, but this allows it to be
>raised above what is strictly necessary for reproduction.

I think your 'strictly necessary for reproduction' has a hint of a standard
based upon physiological requirements. Once we treat that standard,
however, as variable, then it can rise with victories of the working class.

> > >It is only a commitment to the working class interest that
> > >inhibits Marxists from admiting this.
> >
> > You mean we are dishonest?
>
>We want to defend the actual real wage from being reduced
>so we say that it is no more than the value of labour power.
>I suspect that it is well above the value of labour power, but
>of course workers are still exploited.

Again, I think Marx recognised that the set of necessaries that underlie
the value of labour could rise. As long as productivity rises more rapidly,
though, the value of labour-power would fall (and the social gulf-- the
rate of exploitation-- would rise).
         michael
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at

Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724