'accumulation' proper v. 'primitive' or 'primary' or 'by dispossession'

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 20:27:15 EDT

Jurriaan,

Thanks for clarifying the personal issue, as it had been nagging at me.
We can move on.

I've not read Harvey's book but have found an article by him on the web (
http://titanus.roma1.infn.it/sito_pol/Global_emp/Harvey.htm ) "THE
'NEW'IMPERIALISM: ON SPATIO-TEMPORAL FIXES AND ACCUMULATION BY
DISPOSSESSION" which I guess is the same point.  There he wants "to argue
that the inability to accumulate through expanded reproduction on a
sustained basis has been paralleled by a rise in attempts to accumulate by
dispossession".

And Harvey goes on to say that a "general re-evaluation of the continuous
role and persistence of the predatory practices of 'primitive' or
'original' accumulation within the long historical geography of capital
accumulation is, therefore, very much in order, as several commentators
have recently observed.  Since it seems peculiar to call an ongoing
process 'primitive' or 'original' I shall, in what follows, substitute
these terms by the concept of "accumulation by dispossession."

I agree with avoiding use of 'primitive' or 'original' accumulation within
the modern context, i.e., leave it for the period Marx used it: for the
original transition from feudalism to capitalism.  You perhaps agree also.
We could stop there and cheer the agreement.

But it's not so easy.  First off, Andre Gunder Frank in 1978 offered
'primary accumulation' for the modern context to replace 'primitive
accumulation' for the historically specific context.  I don't see
recognition in Harvey for Frank (unless it's in Harvey's book), i.e.,
'accumulation by dispossession' is the same as Frank's 'primary
accumulation' (or so it seems to me).

Second, in both Frank and Harvey 'accumulation' itself retains the
ambiguity I argue it has in some of Marx's own work.

As an experiment try substituting 'capitalist development' for
'accumulation' in Harvey (whenever he does not add 'by dispossession) or
almost all other Marxist economic literature.  It will work; I don't think
you'll find a difficulty.  And that is because there is no distinction, at
least of consequence.

I'm struggling against this looseness.  Leave 'capitalist development' as
the loose (non-theoretical) expression; sharpen the meaning of
'accumulation' and, in the process 'overaccumulation' (referred to often
by Harvey).

This is my message.

Paul

Vol.21-Neoliberalism in Crisis, Accumulation, and Rosa Luxemburg's Legacy
RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY, Zarembka/Soederberg, eds, Elsevier Science
********************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka