(OPE-L) URPE at ASSA

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed May 12 2004 - 10:07:18 EDT

To URPE Members

From Robin Hahnel

For any questions, contact:
Robin Hahnel       E-mail: rhahnel@starpower.net
Kristen Sheeran   E-mail: kasheeran@smcm.edu

See attachment for application form

****************************

URPE  at   ASSA
April 6, 2004

PLEASE RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP NOW.  For anyone not planning to present at the meetings this year,
please send your yearly dues to the National Office.
CALL FOR PAPERS: URPE AT ASSA, Philadelphia, PA JAN 7-9, 2005

The URPE at ASSA Program Committee invites participation in the program of the Union for Radical Political Economics (URPE) at the annual meeting of the Allied Social Sciences Association (ASSA), January 7-9, 2005 in Philadelphia.

In organizing your sessions, please give some thought to general issues of "audience appeal."  As we organize sessions, preference will be given to those most likely to interest other URPE members and other heterodox economists attending the ASSA meetings.  We are also hoping to have some papers analyzing the effects of the military industrial complex and economic policy priorities for progressives. In honor of the late Paul Sweezy, we are especially interested in papers exploring the consequences of structural trends in capitalism.

Complete Sessions:  Proposals for complete sessions should include the session title and the names and institutional affiliations of the chair, discussants, and presenters. For each paper, we need a 250 word abstract, including title and author's name. A proposed complete session will consist of  3 or 4 presentations.  Remember that only presenters pay, not discussants or the chair if they are different from the presenters.  Please be sure to send email and mailing addresses for all panel members.

Individual Presentations:  Proposals for individual presentations should be no-longer than one double-spaced page,  including title, author's name, and institutional affiliation.

Discussants: Well prepared discussants are vital for a successful program. If you are proposing a complete session, please arrange for discussants as you see fit.  Individuals whose papers are accepted will also be expected to serve as a discussant of someone else=s paper at the meetings.  If you list the areas you prefer to discuss, all attempts will be made to match your preferences.

Session Organizers: All sessions will have an assigned session organizer.  This person will be responsible for contacting all of the members of the session about administrative information -- confirmation that the session has been accepted, time and venue, ensuring that deadlines are met by session participants and that discussants get copies of the papers by firm deadlines.  URPE has no paid ASSA staff, so those presenting papers must share the burden of organizing.

Forms:  Complete and return the enclosed application form.  Since fees must be paid at the time of submission, we cannot accept registration by e-mail or FAX.  Mail (with fees) to: Robin Hahnel, Department of Economics, American University, 4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW Washington, DC 20016.

Fees:  $25.00 for each presenter. Note: This fee only registers you for the URPE programs and does not include registration for ASSA itself.  Presenters who are not members of URPE must also join URPE and add an URPE membership fee. We  strongly encourage people who are joining URPE to subscribe to the URPE journal, The Review of Radical Political Economics.  See the application form below for prices.

Deadlines: Proposals are due June 1, 2004.  Please note that a completed copy of the Program Registration Form and appropriate fees are required with your submission. Submissions will NOT BE ACCEPTED BY EMAIL. Only applications  received by the deadline will be considered.

By July 15, all applicants will be notified by email about whether or not their proposal has been accepted. Fees collected for proposals not accepted will be refunded. Finished papers must submitted to the session organizer and to discussants by November 1. To ensure the quality of papers and to give discussants sufficient time to prepare their remarks, this deadline will be enforced.