P.S re Venezuela

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 22:12:18 EDT

At 20:11 16/05/2004, Rakesh wrote re Jerry:

  I don't think he has always
>been fair-minded in his criticisms of TSS. I was also quite put off
>by what I took to be his bad faith debating tactics in the arguments
>over the character of plantation slavery.

         I can't say I followed either of these discussions so can't
comment. In any event, as such they are irrelevant to the question of
Jerry's administrative function. Rakesh's comment, though, reminds me that
I wasn't too excited by his form of debate in relation to Venezuela several
months back; no sweat, I'm a big boy.
         However, some folks who followed that discussion may be interested
to know that addressing a demonstration today called to protest foreign
intervention (touched off by the fluke discovery last Saturday of the
Colombian paramilitaries training on a ranch owned by a Cuban emigre who
has been actively calling for a coup), Chavez indicated that the revolution
has entered a new phase-- one explicitly anti-imperialist-- and announced
that in this situation it is necessary to arm the people.
         in solidarity,
          michael
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at

Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724