Re: the productive macworker

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 17:28:07 EDT

At 17:21 20/05/2004, Paul Bullock wrote:
>  What are you wanting to measure and why?  Whilst Marx showed that the
> movement and dimensions of particular economic phenomena were indeed
> regulated by the basic law of value (which Ricardo could not), that
> regulation is still a process  that leaves  room  for maneouvre by all
> interests. I am wary of trying to count items  when they are constantly
> being expanded, reduced, re devised and so on all the time. The best we
> can do is generate broad categories, which various authors have tried to
> do.( If they left food preparation out of their calculations as capital
> moved into the field, then they made a mistake and should reflect on why)
> This will give us a decent enough illustration of general trends.

Paul, once again we agree. (This is frightening!) I don't want to measure
anything myself. But there are people on the list who do engage in
measurement (eg., Paul C., Allin, Fred M and I'm sure there are others as
well). Do they include the Macworkers as productive of surplus value?
         in solidarity,
         michael
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Venezuela. Can be reached at

Residencias Anauco Suites
Departamento 601
Parque Central, Zona Postal 1010, Oficina 1
Caracas, Venezuela
(58-212) 573-4111
fax: (58-212) 573-7724