Re: (OPE-L) "Theory of Crisis and the Problem of Constitution"

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 21:03:36 EDT

>Jerry,

thanks for this cite. this article, as well as two others by
Marramao, appeared in English translation in the mid 70s in the
journal Telos. I can't remember whether Rick Kuhn mentions them in
developing his own argument about how Grossmann's understanding of
Marxian theory was much closer to that of Lukacs' than the positivism
or mechanical materialism of the Second International. I know Rick
has been very excited about archival discovery of Lukacs' defense of
History and Class Consciousness which does indeed feature many
stunning formulations.

  A note to Paul Z and David L as editors of their respective
publications: thanks very much indeed for having published so much on
Grossmann in the last decade. While there are critiques of
comparative statics in Grossmann (1941) and of simultaneism as an
inherently money-less formalism in Hindess, Hirst, Cutler and
Hussain, John Ernst kicked off what is now known as the TSS school in
an article that was an explicit modification of Grossmann's use of
Bauer's scheme.

Perhaps John can speak this?

Rakesh

ps Julius Sensat has a wonderful reading of Lukacs in the latest
European Journal of Philosophy. He turns that reading against GA
Cohen's critique of Marx.