EARLY WARNING: Venezuela's radical opposition will ignore CNE decisions on recall referendum

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 10:09:38 EDT

See what may be the outlines of the U.S.-led coup in preparation:

http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=21394

Attention in the article is upon the radical-right opposition, rather than upon the government's preparations, and gives a feel for what the government and the Venezuelan masses have to prepare for.

I have no idea whether the recall petition will be ruled sufficient or insufficient, but I have read that Chavez himself welcomes a recall vote as he believes he would easily win such a vote.  I also don't know anything about protections for the integrity of any such recall vote, but I'm quite sure the opposition will claim fraud if they lose the recall, just as they will claim fraud if the repair process does not lead to a recall vote.  So, the described preparations are as relevant for now or as for mid-August.

Paul Z.

Vol.21-Neoliberalism in Crisis, Accumulation, and Rosa Luxemburg's Legacy
RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY, Zarembka/Soederberg, eds, Elsevier Science
********************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka