Re: (OPE-L) Ajit's paper

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 04:56:00 EDT

Ajit,

on your first point, I wonder how you can think a proposition can be
formally incorrect if it follows necessarily from an argument
according to which all the social product represents in money nothing
but living labour, extracted in a specifici social way: the problem
may be how to articulate price and value, not that value is "nothing
but" that monetary expression in that definite social form.

on your second point, as long as the methods of production are fixed,
well, not only Neoclassical questions (based on "change") disappear:
also Marx's, since the value and surplus value theory is all about
money, the determination of the length of the social working day, the
insensity of work, the change in techniques, etc: I guess you have
read Volume I of Capital. May be Marx didn't realize that when you
come to define prices and assume that the technique is given, it is
meaningless trying to "prove" that the social product comes from
nothing but the exploitation of living labour; but the critics who
crucify KM for this simply cancels his problems.

Just a question: how do you explain that Sraffa never said a SINGLE
word against Marx's LTV, say, from the 1930s on? That all the oral
tradition I know goes in the other direction? That the written
Archive paper show that he tried to maintain a STRONG reference to
Marx's LTV say, at least, until the early 40s, well on in the
construction of the 1960 book? That even after the book he even,
consistently, defended Marx's transformation?

I am more interested in opening problems than reaching too quick answers.

rb

--

Riccardo Bellofiore
Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche