Re: (OPE-L) on money, capital, and the state

From: Costas Lapavitsas (Cl5@SOAS.AC.UK)
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 14:07:36 EDT

Riccardo,

I'm not so sure that the points you have underlined are those on which we disagree. To try and get some more mileage out of this debate, while avoid writing the book you mention, let me make three points.

First, I think that Marx's attempt to derive money spontaneously out of exchange relations could and should be rescued by leaving value substance out of the reckoning.

Second, it is incorrect that, if one starts with money, one must also assume that finance 'falls' from somewhere else and not banks. It is necessary, first, to differentiate between money for circulation and money capital for reproduction. Where each 'comes from' ought to be analysed at very different levels of abstraction. But by finance you seem to mean mostly loanable money capital, implying that it needs to 'fall' from somewhere else in analysis that starts with money. This is not so. In my view, loanable money capital is related to idle money generated in the circuits of capital and made available for lending. But you should also consider that capitalist finance is not solely the advance of loanable money capital. Trade credit is vital, and is spontaneously generated as capitalist circuits are articulated with each other. It does not originate with banks or other financial institutions.

Third, in sum, credit (trade and banking) can be analysed on the basis of Marx's circuit of capital, for which only money and money capital are necessary. Loanable money capital is a derivative, not a prior, concept. Schumpeter, as is his wont, breezily rejects money-based analysis of finance as well as the 'commercial bill theory of banking'. Had he been less facile in his dismissal of Smith and more careful in his reading of Marx, he might also have been more circumspect in his judgements.

Costas