Re: on money

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 14:53:19 EDT

Hi Paul,

Yes, I wondered about the reference to exchange value only and had a look
back at your paper from Rethinking Marxism.  I think the usage can be
explained, but that's a longer task.  So let me turn to the helpful quote
from Notebook VII copied in your post below (Grundrisse 776, v. 29 159).

In the passage Marx refers to value as abstract in two ways -- on the one
hand, as a real entity in the world value 'appears' abstract because it is
non-empirical; on the other hand, as a category of economic science it is
conceptually abstract in the ordinary sense.  We want to distinguish the
theoretical concept from the historical foundations to which it refers.  It
took modern economic science to generate the scientific concept of value and
that concept does not appear in antiquity.  But the social relation of value
did.  Not only was there pearl swallowing, but the discussion of Aristotle
in the section on Equivalent Form in Chapter 1 of Capital seems pretty
decisive.

QUOTE
"The brilliance of Aristotle's genius is shown by this alone, that he
discovered, in the expression of the *value* of commodities, a relation of
equality.  The peculiar conditions of the society in which he lived, alone
prevented him from discovering what, "in truth," was at the bottom of this
equality."
END QUOTE

Marx's full argument makes clear at several points that he thinks Aristotle
was anlayzing the social relation of value.  Aristotle failed because he
couldn't penetrate beyond relations of objects to social form, not because
the substantial form of value didn't exist!

One argument (e.g. in Chris Arthur's recent book at 20) is that it doesn't
make sense to speak of value in a pre-capitalist society because the law of
value couldn't operate.  But if the law of value doesn't operate, where did
Aristotle come up with the idea that justice is measured by reciprocal
equality in exchange?  That notion didn't just fall from the blue Athenian
sky.

Anyway, we can distinguish the existence of an immanent structure of value
and the law of value's operation.  it is not necessary for the law of value
to be either fully developed or to operate without interference from other
social relations in order for the essential features of value both to exist
and to exert causally efficacious tendencies.

Marx's use of 'abstract' to refer to value as a determination that is
non-empirical invites the idea that value is a generalization we form by
abstracting from the multitude of different natural properties we find in
commodities.  Compare the reference to a non-empirical structure immanent in
the product of labor as 'abstractly general' in the Appendix to the first
edition of Capital.  There Marx refers to the 'abstractly general' being
given a form of appearance by the 'concrete, sensibly real.'  But he also
refers to the abstractly general as 'essence.'  By that, I take it, he means
it is actually present and causally efficacious.  He writes:

QUOTE
"This inversion by which the sensibly concrete counts only as the form of
appearance of the abstractly general and not, on the contrary, the
abstractly general as property of the concrete, characterizes the expression
of value.  At the same time, it makes understanding it difficult.  If I say:
Roman Law and German Law are both laws, that is obvious.  But if I say:  Law
(Das Recht), this abstraction realizes itself in Roman Law and in German
Law, in these concrete laws, the interconnection becomes mystical."
END QUOTE

This goes back to the point Rakesh was making, but notice that the
comparison of law and value does not altogether go through and it is not
Marx's point that they should.  (Compare "form of appearance" with "as
property of" in the first sentence.)  Marx is arguing that if we treat value
the way we treat law in the above case,  then we founder in confused
mystifications.  Law is a general classification attributable to specific
institutions, not the other way around.   Horses are white, not whites
horseful.  If we say "Das Recht" is realized in Roman Law and  German Law,
we treat law as a thing and engage in hypostatization.  But Marx is not
arguing that we deal with value that way, though he was arguing that we can
make that mistake.  The difference is this:  as he said at the beginning of
the Grundrisse, there is no production in general and there is no law in
general either.  That's what makes "Das Recht" an abstraction.  But as a
constituting structure, value is not 'production in general.'  It is a
specific historical form of the relation of laboring subjects to nature and
to each other.  So it is not mystical to say that value comes to exist in
concrete sensible things which in turn, in their reciprocal relations, serve
as the structure's forms of manifestation.

Howard