Re: on money substance and abstract labor

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 19:38:40 EDT

Hi Ian,

I wanted to pick up a couple of things from your earlier posts (I'm slower
at getting to all this stuff than I'd like to be), and especially the post
below.

Overall, your emphasis on emergent control systems resonates with one of the
important things about exploring the Aristotelian context of Marx's work.
Aristotle's realism, a critique of both the empiricism and idealism of his
day, provides a bridge to important developments in scientific realism over
the last half century.  So finding that this was compost for Marx's work is
not just a matter of resurrecting ancient history; it is also a matter of
connecting Marx to what goes on now.  So your emphasis on control systems is
definitely interesting.

On the other hand,

>I thought it might be interesting to note that there
> are other ways of talking about the "form of value" or "organising
> principle", which I find more natural,

the old ways of talking are likely to be around for a while since we still
find ourselves embroiled in controversies that pit substance on the one hand
against form on the other.  To explore the ways in which form just is
substance may take us a bit beyond such disputes.

I wonder if you have explored the connection of the engineering sense of
control systems that you mention to work that has been done on natural
kinds?  As I understand it, natural kinds can be thought of as causal
structures of the world  that account for the persistence of a thing as the
kind of thing it is.  Natural kind terms refer to those structures.  Does a
control system so to speak individuate in that way -- I mean does one
organize a thing in such a way that it is the thing that it is?  Or is that
kind of talk sort of not relevant?  Is this or that control system readily
distributed over a variety of tasks or more or less specific to a given kind
of social relation/activity.  And what do you have in mind (generally) by
the reference to emergent novel ontologies?

I thought your earlier observation on representation as naturalized was very
important.

"At root, representation
is implemented via causal links, and commodity economies
instantiate the right causal relationships to support the
representation".

My impression is that this sort of thing is not sufficiently well developed
either in the analysis of Marx or more generally.

Howard