Re: on money

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 06:57:52 EDT

Hi Paul,

You write,

> *Poverty of Philosophy* argues that economic categories correspond to the
social base, arise from the social relations of production, and are not
a-historical as bourgeois economists would wish.  The social relations of
production in slavery are different from capitalism.  You are saying that ex
poste (viewed in hindsight) we can apply the concept of value for exchange
transactions in ancient Greece, no matter that Aristotle himself was limited
by living in a slave mode of production, because we have now experienced the
rise of capitalism.  Can you reconcile your position with *Poverty of
Philosophy*?
_______________

Was water H20 in Ancient Greece?

We are talking about continuity of scientific reference.

In Poverty of Philosophy Marx says that economic categories are the
theoretical expression of the social relations of production , that they are
the theoretical expression of the historical movement of production
relations and if we want to know why a particular principle was manifested
(or not) at a particular point in time we have to analyze the productive
life of people at that point in time.

We do not want to treat modes of production as monotone.  There needs to be
room for an articulation of distinct and contradictory social forms within a
given mode of production.  The commodity form existed in ancient greece but
was certainly not dominant.  It influenced Aristotle enough to shape his
ideas on justice, but not enough for him get to the bottom of it.  The
distinction depends on the analysis of the social base.  Hindsight is
exactly what is involved in saying the anatomy of a man is the key to the
anatomy of an ape and there is nothing ahistorical in treating the evolution
of understanding in this way.
________________
> I noted that you did not react to my note suggesting using value for
M-C-M', but not for C-M-C.  I was making the point that C-M-C is the concept
relevant, by and large, for ancient Greek transactions.

______________

I'm sorry I missed this.  Perhaps you can explain a little more fully.
M-C-M' is the general formula for capital, not value.  Do you collapse these
two distinct forms of social relations?
_______________

> To be frank, I still do not understand 'value' fully.  In my classes I
sometimes made it analogous to the theory of gravitation pull (you cannot
see, feel, smell, or touch gravitation pull but it has proven extremely
useful).  And, a la Althusser, I could understand gravitation pull as a
produced concept.  Why not value as a produced concept.  But I think this is
far away from what you are arguing and perhaps is not consistent with Marx's
own formulations on value.  Marx seems to be arguing that the very fact that
commodities exchange with a certain regularity suggests a 'third' something
behind commodiities, namely, value.  Maybe.  But is this a physical
property? or a produced concept?  If it is a physical property, why would it
'disappear' if the use-value is consumed, not exchanged?

______________

When you drop a stone, what pulls it to earth?  A physical property?  or a
produced concept?  The concept is a theoretical expression of your
understanding of a physical power.  Your concepts for that power are likely
to evolve over time, reflecting constraints of the social base, mistakes
(e.g. confused observations, ie errors of practice), etc.  Phlogiston turns
out not to have referred at all, but, so far as we now understand, the the
concept of a 'luminiferous ether' did, though the concept was an inadequate
expression of the power to which it referred.  I think reducing value to a
'third' behind commodities, while a significant part of  theoretical
analysis, if proposed as a definition of value offers an inadequate grasp of
the power to which it refers.

Howard