Re: (OPE-L) Re: Ajit's paper

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 12:35:45 EDT

Hi Jerry,

As I said to Paul just now, I have to run, and maybe my question has nothing
to do with Ajit's question anyway, but in order to know whether it does, we
have to get a bit clear on the issue of measuring time.  I was not really
concerned with how well we measured time or whether the way we measure can
be effectively standardized.  I'm more concerned with knowing what a clock
is.  We seem to use this result or that result to refer to the passage of
time, some of which we call clocks, or primitive clocks.   Clocks seem to be
a time embodying mechanism, don't they -- the release of the spring tells us
a quantity of time has passed.  What about grains of gold?  Not passing
through an hourglass, but just their weight?  Why can't I use them to tell
time?

Howard