(OPE-L) Marx on The Clock

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 07:14:28 EDT

Hi Howard.

> We've already
> got commodity fetish.  We don't need clock fetish too.

We already have a clock fetish.  It is every bit as socially real
as any other form of commodity fetishism.

Our daily lives as workers under capitalism are divided, following
Michael L, between working-time and non-working time.  It
is the clock which tells us when one starts and the other ends.
A clock tells many of us when to wake up, when we can eat
lunch during the working day, and when we can use the restroom.
When the working day ends, a clock is often used as an essential
guide for our enjoyment, e.g. as a clue for when entertainment
programs begin.  I've got to get off-line now and go to work
because a clock tells me that I must. Tell me again that there isn't
a clock fetish associated with bourgeois society.

In solidarity, Jerry