Re: (OPE-L) Ajit's paper

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 08:59:57 EDT

Ajit writes:

>  I think most of the people
>will agree that my position is at least clear and
>understandable, but yours is not.

If you cannot state exactly what has to be assumed about money for
the curious effect on the net product to obtain from a change in
distribution, then you are not being clear. You are stating that a
monetary effect obtains without explaining why, and you are not
clearly defending the reasonableness of assuming money has the
properties it has to have for said effect to obtain. The clarity and
understandability you claim to have achieved dissipate upon closer
analysis.

Also, by your own admission, your symptomatic reading of this part of
Capital simply makes Marx's analysis of the peculiarities of the
equivalent form and ideal genesis of money superfluous. You ask me to
give my interpretation of what this all about (see Hans' reply to the
mango theory of money). Well, no, your interpretation has to make
sense of the text (or even of the text's contradictions) or fail. And
it fails.

>Please tell us what is the peculiarities of the
>equivalent form or "ideal genesis" of the money form?
>and why do we have to make of anything of this?

This is from someone who claims to have cracked the nut of the first
part of Capital!

Rakesh