Re: measurement of abstract labor

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 02:34:16 EDT

--- Fred Moseley <fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU> wrote:
> > _______________
> > Fred, I'm glad to see you moving firmly in my
> > direction.
>
> I don't know about that.  See below.
>

> > So you agree that
> > "the basic unit of measure of abstract labor, as
> the
> > "substance of value", is one hour of simple,
> unskilled
> > labor, of average intensity, and using average
> > conditions of production." This is what I have
> been
> > belaboring for ages. Now, this measure does not
> need
> > money.
>
> No, this is not what I mean.  The measure of
> abstract labor DOES NEED
> MONEY, because the measure of abstract labor in
> terms of labor-time is
> INVISIBLE, i.e. NOT DIRECTLY OBSERVABLE as such.
_______________

But then you are contradicting what you had said
above. To remind you, you said "the basic unit of
measure of abstract labor, as the "substance of
value", is one hour of simple, unskilled labor, of
average intensity, and using average conditions of
production." Now in any society there is a good
understanding of what kinds of labors are considered
unskilled. So there is no problem in terms of
observation. In any case money cannot help you in
dertermining what labor is unskilled. Second, average
intensity is also an accepted norm of labor intensity
that can be observed or generally considered to be a
part of socially prevalent technology of production
and various labor laws. Again, money in no ways helps
you in determining the average intensity of work.
Thirdly, average conditions of production is also
determined by observing what kind of technology and
labor conditions are dominant in production of given
commodities. Again, money, by no means, will help you
in determining the average conditions of production.
So I have two questions for you:
(1) How does money help you in determining the above
three variables that both you and Marx identify are
variables needed to measure abstract labor and value?

(2)If, as you say below, that "abstract labor" only
shows up in money terms but its measure is in labor
terms, then could you tell me how do you get your
money values first and then how do you go about
translating those money values to labor values?
Cheers, ajit sinha