Re: Money, mind and the ontological status of value

From: Costas Lapavitsas (Cl5@SOAS.AC.UK)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 11:21:55 EDT

Hi Rakesh,

I think that we have different aims. I don't want to work out what Marx really 'does' in the first three chapters of Capital. It seems to me that he does many things, some of astonishing power, but not all mutually compatible. Also, a bit more clarity by Marx himself would have done no harm. What exactly prevented him, for instance, from stating unequivocally whether he is talking about capitalist exchange or about commodity exchange across history? Anyway, I have no interest at all in working out the 'right' way of interpreting Marx on either value or money. My concern is with the analytical process of money's emergence. Some sections of the first three chapters of Capital offer decisive insight on this issue.

On the substantive point you raise, I see no problem with stating that money monopolises direct exchangeability through the same process that makes money the representative of value for all other commodities. Money is the universal equivalent because it can buy all others, which is the other side of the coin of representing value for all others. It seems to me that you can't have one without the other.

Costas