Re: measurement of abstract labor

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 13:25:35 EDT

Hi Fred,

You asked for my comment on point 7 of your post from June 2.  I have to be
very tentative about this, as I have missed some of the details of the
debate on this thread, and probably it is easier for me to start with your
post below.

I wonder if there aren't two separate problems and whether differentiating
them would not advance understanding.

I certainly agree with you that abstract labor is non-sensible,
non-empirical, and therefore needs a form of manifestation.  This is a
critically important point.

But there is a second point, that I have urged in my recent posts to Ajit --
we make assumptions about measuring time based on our ready familiarity with
clocks, watches, etc.  We speak of hours, minutes and seconds.  But these
are just ways we talk about the passage of time.  I mean except as we
observe processes and activities and results of change, how is the passage
of time directly observable?  So ounces of gold are not only a form of
manifestation of abstract labor but also a way of telling time.  We can take
any activity that produces a result and use the result to refer to the
passage of time.  So the idea that we can measure unskilled labor without
money just means we can tell time in some other way.  We can use a clock,
but then we measure concrete labor rather than abstract labor, as Jerry
suggested, -- ie we reduce abstract to concrete labor.  In any event it is
just an alternative way of using an activity and a result to refer to
duration.

So there are two points:  (1) we can use any activity or its result to refer
to the passage of time -- either the mechanical movement of hands of a clock
or the digging of gold; (2) but the digging of gold has the added advantage
of allowing us to give objective expression to the non-sensible thing behind
the relation of objects in exchange.

In my post today to Paul I suggested the importance of distinguishing
between a programmatic definition of value and an explanatory one.  Keeping
in mind that abstract labor is itself caused by a specific form of social
relations may ground the idea of value as substance and avoid some of the
"embodied bug" (for bugs in amber) objections to value as "congealed" labor.

I have not followed the details of the discussion of the reduction of
skilled labors and the dispute regarding skill multipliers.  Your point 7 in
the post from June 2, incidentally, does not accurately quote what I said,
so I think my point from May 28 does not offer support for the argument you
were making there.  On May 28 I wrote:   "But obviously the causal potency
of the commodity form doesn't depend on my being able to conceive it."    By
'commodity form' I meant a real entity in the world, not a theory. So I was
arguing that the causal potency of a real thing did not depend on my being
able to think of it.  This is different than the point you were making.

But on the point of the reduction of skilled to simple labor and of skill
multipliers, can't we back into this by considering money as the necessary
manifestation of value?  No matter what labor I perform, no matter how
unskilled, so long as it is productive and realized in a product, it can be
exchanged for some quantity of gold.  It is the nature of gold to be
homogeneous and infinitely divisible -- use a multiplier and you can get to
any portion of it from some other portion.

But as a manifestation of the value of things gold is only one thing
referring to something else.  That is, gold gets selected out as the tool we
use for reference precisely because it is capable of adequately referring to
something that is itself homogeneous and divisible into simple units.  Gold
accomplishes the reference more successfully than a cow.

In a first 'moment' the homogeneity is the work of exchange -- since any
product can be exchange for any other product any instance of labor can be
reduced to any other.  So you'd have to find the skill multipliers in
exchange, wouldn't you?  And that doesn't make much sense, except insofar as
it is money that accomplishes the result.

In a second moment homogeneity becomes not merely a feature of the product
but more and more of concrete labor itself.  But even then you can't uncover
some direct form of skill multiplier to compare labors independent of money.
I mean you can take average conditions and average intensity and work out
useful approximations.  But if you pretend those approximations are
conceptually adequate, then aren't you are working with some other
theoretical framework than that of Marx?

Howard