Re: (OPE-L) the specific social relations [of production] associated with value

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@STANFORD.EDU)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 14:27:17 EDT

Paul Z,
Have to check Althusser's Reading Capital but thought he argued that
surplus value was real, not a theoretical object. Doesn't he object
to Sombartian/Crocean idea of surplus value as gedankenbild, a useful
thought object which allows us to think capitalist reality in terms
of deviations from it (of course if that is all value and surplus
value are, then it's impossible that capitalism production could
actually founder on a shortage thereof). Doesn't Althusser even
express criticism of Engels' understanding as expressed in a letter
to Schmidt? Not remembering exactly where in the text he says this.
Interested in your thoughts.
Rakesh