Re: (OPE-L) the specific social relations [of production] associated with value

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 03:15:01 EDT

Hi Paul,

Apologies for not being clear on the status of the constellation of
theoretical concepts that make up the background of marxist theory other
than value.  I too hurriedly assumed it would be understood that I was
making the same argument with respect to all of them -- as I understand it,
'mode of production,' 'labor power,'  'value,' etc. all are theoretical
concepts that refer to real objects.  This is a matter of the reference of
scientific terms.

You seem to argue that it would be incorrect for theoretical objects to
refer to reality and suggest it would be a problem if  [quoting Paul] "every
word could be both a theoretical concept, or refer to reality . . . ."   But
I think that is just what the reference of scientific terms does -- we use
theoretical categories to pick out features of the world, real objects or
properties, that we turn our attention to.  Because that is how we use such
categories, your suggestion that we use special words to designate "real
objects" won't work because those special words we use will also be
theoretical concepts used to refer, theoretical objects, and so, to avoid
the confusion we've just tried to escape, we will have to use some other
special words, some extra-special words, to refer to the real object we're
still trying to reach, and so on in an infinite regress.

The point of theory, and of fashioning theoretical categories, is reference.
Suppose we want to show that when heated in a flame salts of sodium will
turn the flame yellow.  'Salts of sodium' is a chemical term embedded in a
fairly extensive background of theory that allows us to pick out a substance
that will in fact behave the way our theory led us to expect.  As terms of
scientific reference, economic categories are no different.  They allow us
to pick out properties of things of nature and society and to establish the
right sort of understanding of how such objects in the world tend to behave.
This was the really important force of an observation made by Ian some posts
back -- he pointed out that when we got it right about reference it was
because our usage had been caused by the actual behaviors of real objects.
That is, the features of the world to which we refer can actually be thought
of as regulating our use of the terms we fashion.  When we've got it right,
they will behave the way we expect.  We use the word 'cold' to refer to ice
because of what it does to our hand when we pick it up, and we call water
H20 because if we conduct the right sort of experiments we can actually find
two atoms of hydrogen, etc.

Howard