Re: Money, mind and the ontological status of value and abstract labor

From: Costas Lapavitsas (Cl5@SOAS.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 16:37:16 EDT

Howard,

To avoid shadow boxing let me state what agree on. I have no disagreement with value (abstract labour) being a real social substance, as well as object of theoretical analysis. Nor do I have any difficulties with value and capital being distinct social 'objects'. My bone is with your attempt to establish the 'reality' of value transhistorically.

I noted a logical contradiction in your use of 'labour indifferent to form'. Your clarification is not persuasive. You agree that capitalist production makes labour 'indifferent to form' but then attempt to generalise this across history and establish it as common feature of all labour. It is difficult to know exactly what your argument is because there is constant elision between what you think and what you think Marx thinks, which Paul has also noted.

From what I can gather, the approach you adopt is a kind of metaphysics. You state that there is 'labour indifferent to form', which then takes a variety of social forms across history. This is hardly compatible with your own insistence on the 'reality' of the concept of abstract labour. If it is 'real', it must have been made so by social processes, as happens under capitalist conditions. If it arises purely because the thinker has abstracted from the particularities of many social forms of labour, it is not real. On the contrary, it is transcendental and metaphysical.

But you contradict yourself further in your attempt to clarify. In attempting to show that abstract labour can exist without the form of wage labour you argue that "Any production that is production for exchange value is labor indifferent to form. This is where I was unclear." However, in your original message you argued that "Labor abstract in the sense that it is indifferent to the utility of the product which it produces, commodity producing labour, equal and homogeneous labour, is not at all necessarily indifferent to the form of labour - Marx gives the example of guilds and crafts which remained immersed in the particularity of labour". It seems to me that you can't have both arguments. I suggest that the latter is correct, but this makes your clarifying argument logically problematic.

Incidentally, in your last message you state that exchange value is produced. This is clearly incorrect. Exchange value is an aspect of commodities, an exchange property, and belongs to them whether they have been produced (for instance, cars), not produced (for instance, land or financial assets), or even if they are mock-commodities (for instance, a favour, a bribe). What is produced is value (abstract labour) and only under capitalist conditions.

To return to the point at issue, though, I have full sympathy with the attempt to show that value is a real social substance. The point is that this must necessarily be shown by elaborating the social conditions under which labour takes place. These are capitalist conditions. Otherwise abstract labour would simply be an ideal abstraction, which, incidentally, neoclassicals could fairly easily shoot down. Establishing abstract labour under capitalist conditions does not stop it from giving us insight into non-capitalist forms of labour or commodities in non-capitalist modes of production. But that is not the same as seeking a transhistorical definition of abstract labour. Slaves, to conclude, most definitely do not represent crystallisations of abstract labour.

Costas