Re: Value of slaves was Money, mind and the ontological status of value

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 13:09:35 EDT

Hi Paul,

Your point about the juridical subject in PCEF is interesting and bears
close consideration.  But in rereading just now, I wonder if I earlier
misread this paragraph:

> My feeling is that the category 'producing subject' used in pre-capitalist
> economic formations, is a modified form of the category of juridical
> subject. If we follow Pahukanis this category arises from commodity
> exchange and should not be applied to pre-commodity exchange situations.
> I take it as given that the philosophical subject is in turn a highly
> abstracted ideological development of this juridical category.

Are you saying that there is no juridical subject apart from commodity
exchange?   I mean a slave in the ancient world was defined as someone who
was excluded from exchange and so wasn't a juridical subject of exchange in
that sense, but the relationship of slavery was certainly given juridical
characterization and form.  So too with forms of tenure and bondage in
medieval law.  I guess there are two senses of 'subject' in play.  But why
do you think the 'producing subject' in PCEF is derivative of a subject with
active rights and duties in exchange?

Also, why wouldn't the philosophical subject be derived from the forms of
economic life mediated by legal and political forms as well as other forms
of consciousness?  Why just juridical?

I haven't looked back at Pashukanis in a good long while, but, as insightful
as he is, if the juridical form is exclusively a result of commodity
exchange, then Marx is wrong to say that forms of state, including forms of
law, are generated by the relationship of direct production which accounts
for the pumping out of surplus labor.

That is, Pashukanis's proposition poses this problem theoretically:
Juridical relations for Marx are relations of force, so the juridical
subject is the subject of a relation of force.   What is the relation of
force that binds exchangists?  Suppose I agree with you that I will deliver
coals to Newcastle and you promise to pay.  But when I deliver, you tell me
you've found other coal available.  I can't secure the conditions of my own
reproduction unless I can hold you to your bargain, and so force is
required.  This is important, but it is superficial compared to the relation
of force that separates workers from the means of production and then binds
them to it.  The Newcastle scenario can explain why we have the notion that
everybody is equal before the law - ie it can explain the form of appearance
of much familiar to us in law just as market relations provide forms of
appearance for social production - but it can't fully explain law's
structural form, ie why forms of association become critical to the
development of modern law or what explains the form of subordination that
characterizes the employment relationship juridically.

So I hesitate to make the argument turn on Pashukanis, though I have to look
back at his book.  Anyway, that doesn't address the question of whether the
producing subject in PCEF is presented as a juridical subject, however a
juridical subject be characterized.   I'll have a look at the text.

Here's a different take on interpreting inconsistencies in Marx:  in theory,
as in other things, as a pragmatic matter at a certain point inquiry has to
end and you act one way or another.  But as long as inquiry is ongoing, I
tend to learn more if I assume I'm the one that doesn't get it.  Second, as
far as the drafts and working notes of a lifetime go, one thing is certain -
whatever inconsistencies there might be in mine, if you reviewed them you'd
find a whole lot more than were actually there because you wouldn't
understand my abbreviations, half references, lacunae understood, etc., nor
could you retrace a thread I might be able to recapture instantly.  So,
until I have to do otherwise, I read on the assumption I'm dealing with an
intelligible whole.

Howard