Re: measurement of abstract labor

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 01:21:34 EDT

Hi Paul,

You wrote:

Metrologists want a standard of weight that does not itself
'contain' weight.

My understanding is that the standard for measuring length is the wave
length emitted by an isotope of krypton.  I haven't read the issue of
Science you refer to, but my guess would be that if meterologists are able
to define weight in terms of something that is not weight it will be because
they can reduce weight to that property.  You might be able to avoid the
problem of a mass absorbing mass from the atmosphere, but you won't avoid
the problem that in comparing two things they must be comparable under some
common aspect which they share.  Two things are distant from one another
because they both have existence in space (Marx's critique of Bailey).  Two
things are comparable in the property of what we now call weight because
e.g. they both resist acceleration or whatever other common aspect turns out
to solve the  kilogram problem.

Howard