Re: measurement of abstract labor

From: Fred Moseley (fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 23:57:50 EDT

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, ajit sinha wrote:

> Fred, Let's cut through the chase. According to you,
> Marx's theory of value boils down to this: Marx
> assumes that commodities have value. Values are
> measured by socially necessary abstract labor. Though
> socially necessary abstract labor cannot be measured
> or observed, but still Marx assumes that it is a real
> thing and commodities have them. And then Marx assumes
> some arbitrary measure for the value of any commodity.
> And that is his theory of value. This, in my opinion,
> is a nonsense theory of value--and definitely not
> Marx's theory of value. You, of course, find it very
> profound. So we leave it there. I'm visiting Paris for
> a couple of weeks, ans so will not be checking ope-l
> too often. Cheers, ajit sinha

Hi Ajit,

Sorry for my delayed response.

I certainly do not begrudge you a trip to Paris, but this is a
disappointing ending (for now) to what I thought was a pretty good
discussion.  I tried to explain that Marx's theory is not "nonsense", in
spite of being based on unobservable variables, because it provides
explanations of important phenomena of capitalism (total surplus-value is
proportional to total surplus labor, inherent conflicts over the length of
the working day and over the intensity of labor, inherent technological
change, trends in the rate of surplus-value, the composition of capital,
and the rate of profit, etc.).  Indeed, I would argue that Marx's theory
of value has greater explanation power than any other economic
theory.  And, instead of engaging this argument, you just repeated your
assertion that a theory based on such assumptions is "nonsense".  That
does not move the discussion forward.

Have a good time in Paris!

Comradely,
Fred