Re: measurement of abstract labor

From: Fred Moseley (fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 14:50:40 EDT

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, ajit sinha wrote:

> Fred, Marx's theory is definitely not nonsense, but
> your interpretation of it is. By repeatedly asserting
> that whatever you assert for Marx is naturally Marx's
> theory and I, of course, don't know Marx's theory, you
> have been showing your arogance so much for so long
> that I have no option than to be nasty to you in my
> Marx's theory of value and I can claim to have some
> serious understanding of this problem than you and
> many others on this list can. So please get off your
> high horses and start calling what you say as your
> interpretation rather than Marx's theory.

Hi Ajit, our discussion seems to have run aground with
repitions and accusations, so why don't we suspend for now,
and perhaps resume later.

For the record, when I say "Marx's theory" is this or that,
I always mean implicitly MY INTERPRETATION of Marx's theory.
How could it be otherwise?  But it also implicitly means that
I think that my interpretation of Marx's theory is better than
competing interpretations, which is of course a long discussion,
but it is a discussion to which I have devoted considerable effort
in recent years.  I have supported by interpretation with
substantial textual evidence, that I have presented in numerous
publications, and that I would be happy to discuss.

Ajit, I am not saying that you are not a serious, knowledgable
Marxian scholar.  I respect your scholarship and have learned
from it.  But I am saying that I think that nonetheless your
interpretation of Marx's theory is mistaken on some fundamental
issues.  Again, that is a long discussion, which perhaps we could
return to at some future point.

So best wishes on your directorship (what are you the director of?),
and perhaps we can continue our discussion in the future.

Comradely,
Fred