(OPE-L) Message from Andriana Vlachou and CFP for conference on Radical Economics in the 20th Century

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 20:47:55 EDT

Message
----- Original Message -----
From: Lee, Frederic
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 11:42 AM
Subject: conference, new book, pkesg seminar, new heterodox economics program

Dear Colleagues,

The following material below may be of interest to you.  First I want to promote the CALL FOR PAPERS my own "Conference on Radical Economics in the 20th Century:  Radical Economics and the Labor Movement".  Information about the conference and the call for papers is below as well in an attachment.  Needless to say you will be getting reminders from me on a regular basis about the conference.  Secondly, I want to direct your attention to the letter from Andriana Vlachou.  Andriana led a long and hard fight to retain Marxist courses at her university in Greece.  In the letter she thanks everyone who supported her efforts.  It is the particular and collective efforts like this that protect and promote both heterodox economics and pluralism in economics.  I highly commend Andriana for her hard and quite stressful efforts in this regard.  Thirdly there is information about a new book, The Caribbean Economies in an Era of Free Trade', edited by Nikolaos Karagiannis and Michael Witter, about the forthcoming PKESG seminars, and a new heterodox economics program.  Finally, I just warn to alter everyone to a little project I have going-that is collecting information about undergraduate economic programs that in someway promote pluralism-heterodox economics.  I will be sending out a request for information over the next couple of weeks.

Those in the Northern Hemisphere-welcome back to University; and those in the Southern Hemisphere have a good and productive summer.

Fred Lee

Professor Frederic S. Lee

Department of Economics

University of Missouri-Kansas City

5100 Rockhill Road

Kansas City, Missouri  64110

USA

E-mail:  leefs@umkc.edu

Book Series Editor of "Advances in Heterodox Economics"

For Heterodox Economics on the Web see http://www.orgs.bucknell.edu/afee/hetecon.htm

For Archive of E-mails of Interest to Heterodox Economists, see the web site of the Association for Heterodox Economics:  http://www.hetecon.com.

CALL FOR PAPERS

                   Date:    15 - 17 September 2005

Place:   Linda Hall Library of Science, Engineering and Technology

adjacent to University of Missouri-Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri, United States

2005 will be the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Industrial Workers of the World, the most radical union in North America.  To commemorate the anniversary, the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) is hosting a conference on radical economics.  The Conference theme is the role of radical economics in the labor movement in the United States and around the world.  Radical economics includes but is not restricted to anarchism, Marxism, syndicalism, radical Institutionalism, left-wing Keynesianism, and plain old-fashion radical economics.  Proposals on any aspect of the theme are invited.  See the attachment for more information.

Dear Fred,

I would like to thank you and the many heterodox economists from all over the world who help me in gathering information about undergraduate and graduate programs which offer Marxist courses. In the end, the Marxist courses in our undergraduate program were saved as electives for the time being. This was achieved by the vote cast by a few colleagues and the support of all students' representatives in the department's meetings.

I would like to mention that my efforts against theoretical cleansing were not limited to saving Marxist courses only. I proposed new courses covering other heterodox theories and courses integrating economics and politics. These proposals were cast down. It prevailed the view that more courses (and hires) should be offered in financial economics (accommodating the supposedly high market demand), and in mathematical economics and econometrics - although the latter is not being very trendy, it helps in international evaluations of economists pursuing academic careers .

I would also like to mention that the debates over the philosophy and the structure of our undergraduate program followed the very disturbing attempts to make a list of rated journals that should be used to evaluate faculty members and departments as a whole. Based on existing citation bases, this list rated heterodox journals almost at the bottom or it did not include them at all.

Could you please forward this message to all heterodox economists? This will give me the opportunity to thank each and everyone of them for their help. It might end up to some of my opposing colleagues at my department, as it did before, but I do hope they will try to understand my position.

With best wishes

Andriana Vlachou

PS. For the information of a number of friends who asked for my details, I would like to mention that I am an associate professor with the Economics Department of the Athens University of Economics and Business. I received my PhD in Economics from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst in 1983.

<snip, JL>