Re: (OPE-L) RE: 'simple commodity production'

From: Ian Hunt (Ian.Hunt@FLINDERS.EDU.AU)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 00:19:07 EDT

Ajit,

I am not sure that you have backed your assertions about simple
commodity production. As I understand it, Marx was only defending a
law of value rather than a theory of value which claimed that prices
are in proportion to values. The issue is whether there is any
tendency for commodities to exchange at their values in scp and
whether one could expect other tendencies to influence the outcome,
as one can in cmp. In this respect, one clearly could other
tendencies: scarcity of raw materials would give rise to rent but at
the margin that would not apply. The problem with a tendency for
equal return to capital is that presumably growth could not be the
issue in scp that it is in cmp, if we assume INDIVIDUAL proprietors.
But a version of scp might allow small businesses operating with some
apprentices, so there could be some prospects for growth and new
entrants would seek out opportunities to a degree. This is the kind
of mobility required: yuo do not have to have people beating swords
into plough shares to get mobility over time.

You claim that "wages"  could not exist as data for workers in a scp.
In scp, there will be no "wages" but there will be returns or income
per hour of labour. It is not clear at all to me why workers would
not know what returns per hour generally were. Nor is it clear that a
person contemplating a business for the first time would be unable to
know whether income per hour in making steel is due to skills,
scarcity of iron ore or high pay per hour. Surely everyone would know
whether you needed to spend long hours learning how to make iron or
require special natural aptitude - this could hardly be a trade
secret since people do not last forever and successor workers have to
be trained. Scarcity of raw materials would also be easy to
determine: you would note expanding production, due largely no doubt
to increased number of recruits taking advantage of the prospects.

Mobility does not have to be great in such a system, if it is
reasonably competitive. Of course, scp cannot be as competitive as
cmp, for the same reason that growth cannot matter so much.
Nevetheless, there is no ground for saying that there would be no
significant tendency for commodities to exchange at values, nor for
this to be likely to be manifested in prices roughly proportional to
values at the margin over a period,

Cheers,
Ian H

--
Associate Professor Ian Hunt,
Head, Dept  of Philosophy, School of Humanities,