Re: (OPE-L) tendencies for equalization

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 10:00:21 EDT

The outcome of such a process is to achieve neither
an equal rate of profit for all capitalists, nor
an equal level of wages. What one can expect is
a relatively stable statistical distribution of
1. The rate of profit
2. The profit share in net firm income ( roughly s/(s+v))
The question then is whether the coefficient of variation
of the 1, can be expected to be greater than the coefficient
of variation of 2.

In the studies that Allin and I have done, we find that
the coefficient of variation in the profit share is
smaller than the coefficient of variation in the rate
of profit.

This does not mean that wages tend to equalise more
than profits do, but it does mean that factors like
trades unions do seem to constrain the dispersion of
the rate of surplus value.