Re: (OPE-L) tendencies for equalization

From: Anders Ekeland (anders.ekeland@ONLINE.NO)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 03:04:35 EDT

I think that both Ian and Jerry points to important aspects of the problem.
And I think that empirically the development of wages in the Nordic
countries (espec. Norway and Sweden) after WW II can be interpreted to
support Ian's point. That is - when labour movement is strong - when
workers are free to form the wage system - there will be (and still is) a
strong urge for wage equalisation. The narrowing of wage differentials is
very marked from 1945 - 1985. And this was not the result of Nordic
"harmony" - on the contrary - in Norway we "lost" more workdays in the
thirties than any other European country - there was very hard class
confrontations. Same in Sweden.

For an empirical description and slightly progressive, but neo-classicaly
biased interpretation of this, search for Michael Wallerstein  and Karl Ove
Moene for articles in English. For those reading Scandinavian languages,
their latest book: "Likhet under press" (Equality under stress) is a
condensed summary of years of research into this.

I wrote my master thesis at Univ. of Oslo (1990) on the problem of
homogenous labour in Marxian Economics (regrettably in Norwegian) It agrees
with Ian - based on the Nordic experiences.

Marx is very confused on this issue of homogenous labour, not treating it
properly and systematically in anywhere. This opens up for the critique of
Elster, that the homogenous labour problem is prior to the transformation
problem and that it is devastating for Marxian Ec. The various solutions
(cost of training etc. does not solve this properly)

Makoto Itohs book (was it Basic theory of capitalism?) has a solution to
the problem of homogenous labour that is close to my view, but a bit
different.  The one liner is that since people are equal (not identical!!),
their time is equally valuable. So if you by nature, chance, upbringing is
above average clever at something - that does not give you any legitimate
entitlement to a higer wage, to more of the product. It is the time that we
devote of our equally valuable time to productive activity that is
remunerated. In the long run, and in a rational society, there is no reason
why professors should earn  more than manual workers - and this is what
happened in Scandinavia after the war.

I am not updated on the issue any more - has there lately (since 1995) been
written anything fundamentally, theorietically/empirically on what is the
correct wage structure from a radical/marxian point of view?

Regards
Anders Ekeland
Norway

There is of course a lot more to say about this. But for the
progressive/labour movement it is still a problem that one does not have a
theoretical alternative to the neo-classical elitist, conformist view. The
thinking about wages in the Norwegian labour movement is based on sound
instinct, common sense. But as Moene and Wallerstein points out - even the
rethoric was radicalised, from equal pay for equal work - to equal pay
plain and simple.

Regards
Anders Ekeland