Re: 'simple commodity production'

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 02:33:15 EDT

--- Paul Cockshott <wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK> wrote:

> Ajit
> ___________________
>
> Ian, I think even today in capitalist economies even
> income tax departments find it very hard to assess
> the
> correct incomes of small businesses. How do you
> expect
> individual workers to get this information so
> easily?
> As a matter of fact, I would expect to find strong
> family traditions in various lines of production in
> scp society. And one of the major reasons for this
> would be absence of wages as public data. I think I
> have taken care of your first point in my response
> Paul C. Cheers, ajit sinha
> [snip]
> >
> ------------
> Paul C
>
> I think your point about family tradition is
> significant,
> but the same thing exists in capitalist countries as
> well
> with sons following their fathers to the mines or
> shipyards.
> It is just that the time periods are compressed.
> Industries
> grow and shrink over the course of a century or so.
> In
> pre-capitalist society the rate of technical change
> was
> somewhat slower, and the family traditions could
> last longer.
> But alongside that is another consequence. Because
> technical
> change is slower, prices have a longer time to
> equilibrate, so
> that less mobility is required to achieve it. The
> basic
> technologies of carpentry and wine production for
> example,
> remained the same for a couple of millennia in the
> Mediterranean
> prior to the development of capitalist industry.
> That gives
> plenty of time for even marginal movements of labour
> between
> vine growing and carpentry to establish customary
> prices
> for the products of the two trades that were
> proportionate
> to their labour inputs.
But Paul, my point was that the income differentials
may become customary, so the customary prices may not
reflect labor-values. In my opinion, before the advent
of classical economics, and in this context Ricardo
rather than Smith, the fair price was calculated
by,more or less, adding up established customary
returns. Cheers, ajit sinha