Re: Seminar: HILBERT SPACE MODELS COMMODITY EXCHANGES by Paul Cockshott

From: Alejandro Valle Baeza (valle@SERVIDOR.UNAM.MX)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 14:18:51 EDT

Paul Cockshott wrote:

Recently Steedman  (1998) proposed to measure such deviations by the angle between market price and value vectors, as pointed out by Cockshott.  Nobody uses Euclidian distance to measure value-price deviation. Nevertheless is not clear to me if according to Paul’s paper are all of them wrong? Could Paul explain practical implications of his paper for measuring labor value-price deviations?

I think that Steadman's measure is probably wrong, and that mean absolute deviation

is a more appropriate measure.

This is very important to me because you are finding bases to intuitive approaches  for measuring value price  deviations. Could you tell us more about why MAD seems more convenient than angle proposed by Steedman?

Alejandro Valle Baeza