Re: (OPE-L) Re: tendencies for equalization

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 16:30:09 EDT

Rakesh

In referring to the slave mode of production, I am wondering whether
modes of production are to be defined by the nature of the ties
between between immediate appropriators and direct producers--the
legal ties of slavery, the legal cum traditional ties between lords
and serfs, and the exchange mediated ties between capitalists and
proletarians. Are these ties what Marx meant by relations of
production? Are they what Marx meant by the respective forms in which
surplus labor is pumped out in his articulation of the central dogma
of historical materialism? I don't think so.

How does GA Cohen define mode and relation of production? What are
Derek Sayer's specific criticisms of what he considers formalist
definitions?

Paul C

I dont know about what works you are refering to, can you tell
us more about it.