Re: the death of Jacques Derrida

From: Anders Ekeland (anders.ekeland@ONLINE.NO)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 13:27:44 EDT

Dear Antonio,

There is certainly a vulgar critisism of both Hegel, Marx and Derrida, that
they are difficult. Kendall critisism seem clearly to be of that kind -
judging from the letter to the editors.

My small comment - and Eageltons discussion of post-modernism - has nothing
to do with that. There are difficult passages in both Marx and Hegel, when
they struggle to formulate new insights, to discuss all the consequences of
those insights. One cannot ask for such creative thinking to be clear in a
narrow-minded fashion. But both of them wanted to be understood, wanted to
create meaning.

Very often we find ourselves regretting that Marx was not clearer - on
homogenous labour, on transformation, on the falling rate of profit etc. etc.

My judgement of Derrida is based on the premiss that he did not "want to
create meaning". That there are no eternal thruths does not mean that it is
uninteresting to establish "stylized facts". Is it a fact that some races
are less intelligent than others. In such cases to deconstruct mystical
concepts like intelligence is important, but this is done by normal
scientific procedures - advancing the frontier of knowledge - not by being
concienciously unclear.

That advancing our knowledge is not a linear process of progress is
obvious, well-know examples are the geo-centric reaction to the originaly
correct helio-centric concept of the universe. 1400 year of "wrong"
science. The general equilibrium reaction to the dynamic economic thinking
of Smith and Marx (much less so Ricardo) is another. But to advance science
- a will to communication - a will to seek intersubjective agreed meaning
is important, is an important part of the grand project of liberating all
humans.

It is here Derrida fails in my opinion. Derrida does not help very much in
understanding society - and even less in trying to change it. We can
discuss what Marx and Luxemburg meant, that's helping us to advance our own
thinkning, Derrida is quite another cup of tea.

Regards
Anders Ekeland
Norway