(OPE-L) Re: Specters of Derrida

From: Gerald A. Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 10:51:53 EDT

> Just to make it clear. For me Derrida is not an object of hatred. But I do
> not admire him as a big thinker. He often makes difficult things less
> clear, he is like a shaman, dancing and uttering words. Not  meaningless,
> not without insight, and not very informative for those who are not
> able/willing to get into the same kind of trance.

Anders,

I remarked in my previous post that my comments were not
specifically directed at what you had written. Perhaps a bit of
clarification on my part is in order:  I did not state the stimuli for
my post but it was actually a reaction to what some had written
on _other_ lists following the death of Derrida.  More
specifically, it was a reaction to the oft-stated canard that the
inspiration for Derrida and for post-modernists in general was a
self-serving desire for career advancement in the academy.  I am
repelled by that type of 'reasoning' in the best of times --I found
the timing of  its dissemination last week, to coincide with the
death of Derrida,  particularly offensive.

btw, I think that Derrida might have liked the analogy
to a shaman.  If  we are under a trance from language,
in any event, this is surely not the fault of Derrida but
is rather a product of systems and forms of communication
which are diffused under late capitalism.

In solidarity, Jerry