Re: (OPE-L) Uganda?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 16:05:50 EDT

At 3:34 PM -0400 10/22/04, Gerald A. Levy wrote:
>Sara Burke, <sburke@glovesoff.org>,  told me that
>"Gloves Off"  may be doing a feature on the political
>economy behind the crisis in Uganda.  She asked:
>
>" I wonder if anyone on OPE-L would be able to suggest
>  a Marxist economist with expertise in Uganda and the whole,
>  interconnected crisis in Central Africa."
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for her?
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

Mahmood Mamdani is not an economist but a political scientist. He
teaches at Columbia, so getting in touch may not be difficult.
Mamdani contributed a critique of IMF policies in Uganda to Dharam
Ghai's book about The IMF (book must be decade old, though). Mamdani
also wrote a book on Imperialism and Fascism in Uganda. Before that
he wrote a book on class structure in Uganda which I believe came out
of his Harvard dissertation. By the way, his recent book Good Muslim,
Bad Muslim is a badly needed intervention. Perhaps some US OPE-L'ers
have heard him speaking on this book on alternative radio stations?
rb