(OPE-L) Re: recent references on 'problem' of money commodity?

From: Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 03:09:06 EDT

Re: [OPE-L] (OPE-L) recent references on 'problem' ofRakesh,

Whose and what post is this a reply to?

In solidarity, Jerry

  I agree with you when you write: "the necessity of money is derived from the necessity to objectively represent the abstract labour contained in commodities;"
   A lot doubtless hinges on exactly how the concept of representation is being used in this context. And we probably don't need Derrida to understand what a difficult concept representation is.
  Would you agreee that Marx was primarily interested in virtue of the exclusive re-presentation of what does money create the possibility in a money mediated economy of a general crisis. Isn't this what Marx means by the failure of all hitherto thought to get behind the dazzling money form, i.e. to disclose that which money exclusively re-presents which allows it to go from a force of to a fetter on production?
  You write:

  "(3) the quantity of money in circulation is derived from the sum of prices." The best reconstruction of Marx's argument that I know of is in the first volume of Ranganayakamma's book on Capital.

  You also asked:  Is there any sense in which money is a commodity today? I tried an affirmative answer with my hypothesis of a composite commodity theory of money. But you were dismissive of it, unfairly I of course think!