Re: (OPE-L) recent references on 'problem' of money commodity?

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 04:15:15 EST

Just a clarification:

(i) I agree with Germer that money WAS a commodity in Marx's theory,
and that this was essential to understand his way to frame his value
theory

(ii) I think that money IS NOT a commodity, and that Marx's value
theory can (and must) be reconstructed without money as a commodity.

If I understand well, on point ii Claus and me part our company.

the first is interpretation, the second reconstruction.

I think Fred would not accept this distinction, since this would
depart from a strictly orthodox reading of Marx. I think that the
textual evidence is strongly on the side of i., and the theoretical
developments after Marx strongly support ii.

And I also think that Fred's own thinking about money (say: the way
the value of money is determined in a non-commodity money system) has
had to deal, and change considerably in a few months, with this facts.

rb

--

Riccardo Bellofiore
Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche