Re: (OPE-L) Derrida on Althusser

From: antonio callari (antonio.callari@FANDM.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 09:30:34 EST

Gerry,
I take "theoretically intimidating" here to be Derrida's assessment of the
ideological play at work in Althusser's very skillful (I think) use of the idea
of "theory." And, yes, of course, it has to be contextualized in the 70s in
France. Althusser's heavy reliance on the armour of "theory" was, I think, a
way of caring a space within the CP for a voice of dissent. By carving a very
precise theoretical framework for Marxism, Althusser and his co-workers could
move to question the dogmatism of the CP without being accused of having
deviated from Marxism. But, of course, the attachment to that style/strategy
also had effects beyond the field of politicsc within the CP and could effect
people outside that field in the manner Derrida describes. This is just my
reading of the matter. Funny thing is that Althusser was early on, as early as
the 70s, moving toward a more open conception of Marxism, toward a different
concept of the class struggle (more open to popular forms, and less subject to
a party structure)--a conception which Derrida would not have described, I am
confident, in the terms he used to describe the more theoreticist
formulations.
Antonio

--
Antonio Callari
Sigmund M. and Mary B. Hyman Professor of Economics