Re: (OPE-L) recent references on 'problem' of money commodity?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 23:53:01 EST

First, Allin, you are right--I'm not talking about Foley's value of
money. That was an earlier mistake I reproduced by reposting an old
message. Thanks for the correction.
Second, I just don't see the problem here with "the set equal to". As
I wrote on July 14th of this year: Say that Greenspan aims to ensure
that x barrels of oil, y grams of gold and z bushels of grain sells
for $1000 over the medium term. If that basket now comes to $1100, he
sells bonds; if it comes to $900 he buys bonds. It's a modified gold
standard in two ways: the commodity is composite, and Greenspan is
allowed some flexibility. He may go on buying bonds to inflate the
economy in a time of a crisis but will then will play catch up after
the crisis is over.
Third, I would like to know of the post keynesian theory of the
constraints under which Greenspan sets monetary policy; or an
explanation of why it is conducted the way it is in fact conducted.
It just seems that Greenspan is in fact running something like the
modified gold standard mentioned above. Or that he is being pressured
to do so by the discipline of the international money market.
Yours, Rakesh