Re: (OPE-L) recent references on 'problem' of money commodity?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 01:36:24 EST

At 11:56 PM -0500 11/22/04, Allin Cottrell wrote:
>On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Rakesh Bhandari wrote:
>
>>[W]hat determines the money put in circulation by the Fed or on
>>what basis does the Fed attempt to regulate the money in
>>circulation?
>
>My take on the matter, as I have said, is that the Greenspan Fed is
>primarily concerned to stablize CPI inflation around a small
>positive rate, and to the extent they follow the prices of narrower
>baskets of commodities they are for the most part using these as
>putative advance indicators of general inflation/deflation.
>
>You, on the other hand, claim that the Fed is trying to stabilize
>the price of a small basket of commodities in which gold features
>prominently.
>
>Let's look at the data.

Yes indeed.
1. The data reveal that the Fed's rate hikes often cannot be
explained by an attempt to stabilize CPI inflation at a small
positive rate. In fact there are times that rates should have been
reduced rather than raised if Greenspan were really aiming at the
price level rising at a small positive rate.  Analysis of specific
rate hikes seems to invalidate that Greenspan is actually attempting
to stabilize CPI inflation around a small positive rate. I am also
not clear why Greenspan would find such an aggregate measure
meaningful or important; one could have limited CPI inflation with
extreme inflation or deflation for an important set of commodities.

2. Raising rates can in fact engender the very spike in CPI inflation
that retroactively justifies the hike. I don't remember how it works,
but James Galbraith quotes Randall Wray about this effect in his book
on unequal pay Greenspan's policy may at times ensure CPI inflation
at a small positive rate; that however is not its goal but the effect
of rate hikes imposed for other reasons, e.g. gold targeting.. You
also leave open the question of whether the CPI is manipulated to
show the trend that you see, thereby justifying Greenspan's
surreptious modified gold standard policy as successful in
stabilizing  CPI inflation around a small positive rate.

3. I doubt that Greenspan uses spot prices (rather than long term
contract prices) for oil and wheat in his index, but these seem to be
the prices that you used, no? In fact I don't know what is in his
index or how the commodities are weighed. So I don't see what you
have tested. There is of course both transcript evidence for gold
targeting (Wray's reading of the Fed transcripts for the 1994
interest rate hikes) and some econometric evidence (as for its
validity I am unfortunately unable to judge--
http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:Xb55UjWlhJ0J:www.terry.uga.edu/~last/papers/gold/gold_targeting.pdf+gold+autoregression+greenspan&hl=en&ie=UTF-8There is also the point that Baker who would later have Greenspan
appointed did propose the use of a commodity index in which gold
would be first among equals. I can see how such a policy would be
forced on the US by its international creditors as the US went from
greatest creditor to greatest debtor country.

All this said, I am very grateful that you have attempted to test
ideas against the data that we have.

I am interested in any evidence that throws light on what the
determinants of policy making at Greenspan's Fed have been.

Would you recommend a single work on this topic?

Yours, Rakesh