Re: (OPE-L) recent references on 'problem' of money commodity?

From: cmgermer@UFPR.BR
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 13:42:54 EST

Fred,
while I was replying to you last post, I overlooked your reply to Paul
Bullock from Nov 22, and I’m really confused about what it is that you
want to prove. I’ll try to explain:

You wrote to Paul:
I argued in my next-to-last post that, with respect to the determination
of the MELT, it does not make any difference whether or not credit money
still is tied to gold in some way.  In both cases MELT = MV / L.
(...)
Or, if so, then I have shown (paper attached again) that Marx's
determination of the MELT in this case is equal to MV / L, which is the
ratio that I have argued determines the MELT today, without reference to
gold.  So, once again, with respect to the determination of the MELT, it
does not make any difference whether or not one assumes that gold is still
the fundamental money today.

Claus:
What confuses me is what you mean by saying that “it does not make any
difference whether or not one assumes that gold is still the fundamental
money today” or “difference whether or not credit money still is tied to
gold in some way”?

I thought in your posts you were talking of the general equivalent of
value, not only of the means of circulation. In fact, in your post of
November 19, which I first repplied, you wrote: “In this way, credit
money, of necessity and by default, becomes the general equivalent, and
hence the measure of value of all commodities, in a different
quantitatively way than gold.”, and in your working paper the idea is the
same. This is what I specifically disagree with you.

If this is so, what do you mean by saying that gold could still be the
“fundamental money today” or that it is irrelevant whether or not credit
money is tied to gold or not?

Those sentences seem to mean that in your working paper and posts you are
talking just about paper money and the prices determined in terms of it,
assuming gold goes on as money behind the scene, but you also say that
paper money becomes the general equivalent, which is inconsistent whith
the permanence of gold in monetary functions. If you are merely interested
in knowing how the prices will change with a change in the quantity of
paper money, this is in principle very simple in Marx’s theory: whenever
there is paper money (which means inconvertible paper money issued by the
state) IN EXCESS of the needs of the circulation, the paper money will
depreciate and the prices expressed in terms of paper money will rise,
i.e., there will be inflation, although the money prices (expressed in
real money, i.e., gold) remain unchanged. In one paper of mine I called
the former ‘standard prices’ and the latter ‘money prices’ in order to
distinguish them clearly. However, the paper standard goes on representing
a definite amount of gold, smaller than the official standard, as you
mention in your working paper in the section about inconvertible fiat
money.

In this sense, one could say that the problem of Greenspan in order to
control liquidity would be to define what he considers to be the best
indicator of the level of prices and then expand or contract the liquidity
according to it. In terms of Marx’s theory of the paper money prices (when
it exceeds the needs of circulation, which is the case in the USA since
the late 1960s), the latter will increase with the increase in the issues,
and decrease in the opposite case. There is however no definite proportion
in which this will hapen. The point is that this does not displace gold
money from its role of general equivalent, on the contrary, the paper
money prices fluctuate in a definite relation to the official standard of
prices.

I hope you agree with me that in Marx’s theory there is only one *money*,
which is the general equivalent. Once having come to exist, money performs
several functions, and in its circulation functions it is represented by
particular instruments of circulation, without displacing the money
commodity, the general equivalent, which is the only that can function as
measure of value. Symbols of value, such as tokens and paper money, are
instruments which replace money specifically in the function of means of
circulation, but not in the fundamental role of general equivalent and
measure of value. From what you write I don’t understand your actual
position about this.

Could you clarify what your opinion about this is?

Comradely,
Claus.