Re: (OPE-L) A minor Ernest Mandel Mystery

From: Martha Campbell (campbelm@POTSDAM.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 15:27:29 EST

Hi Jerry,

Money with forced course (or currency) is state issued paper money (like
the US Continentals).  They are "coin" or value symbols.

Mandel perhaps means Marx's argument that the overissue of paper causes the
standard of value to be decreased (that is, a unit of paper money
represents a smaller quantity of gold).  This, at any rate, is a connection
between state issued paper money and gold.

Since paper money is inconvertible, when the standard of value changes, the
amount of gold the standard represents is not visible.  But the phenomena
of the quantity theory -- decreases in the purchasing power of money
resulting from increases in the quantity of money -- are made compatible
with the theory of value (the quantity of paper money does not change the
value of gold).

If there is another connection between forced paper currency and gold I
would like to know about it.

Best, Martha