Re: dollar versus euro prospects - was the armageddon thread

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 25 2004 - 11:38:39 EST

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Paul Cockshott wrote:

> It is worth noting that in some ways the result that Alllin found
> was to be expected simply on staticstical grounds in that a small
> bundle of commodities will have much more noise in its price
> movements than a large bundle such as that used to calculate the
> CPI

True, in general.  My point was just that if there were some
"secret" linear combination of gold, oil and wheat that was
effectively stabilized in price by the Greenspan Fed, then this
particular small basket of goods should be seen to defy the
usual statistical expectation of relatively high variability.

Allin