Re: (OPE-L) recent references on 'problem' of money commodity?

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 16:47:08 EST

Rakesh,

The US dollar didn't 'usurp' the role of gold as the money commodity. It became the  accepted paper representative on a massive scale following a victory in an inter imperialist war. Both US economic productiveness and its growing grasp of global assets allowed this.  First tied with some fixity, then less so, but not  because  more dollars circulated whilst gold production itself was relatively limited. The fall in the relative value of the dollar against other currencies, reflected the relative decline in the comparative productivity of US  capitals compared to other states. This decline itself was slowed because of a new kind of  'forced course' ( Gerry... blood 'courses', circulates, lets allow for Mandels /translators literary qualities, it is not a change in Marx's sense), that is the force of imperialist 'indirect'/ financial control, using dollars, of so much other production in other countries. Nevethless it continues to decline. US imperialism has drastically to force up the rate of exploitation AND extend the ambit of its exploitation to 'save' the dollar.  Thus as a crash - slower or faster - in the dollar occurs, out of it must come a  continued aggressive search for global control. And of course this goes for the 'new'  'united' EU, as we can see in the Ukraine now.

Now, US control of so much of the world's production, either directly or by financial claims, by bloody extortionate relations, is being challenged by a collective ( uncoordinated of course) range of  activity. The EU and China, for a start. The quantity of dollars circulating is too great with respect to the demand for its use (in the many ways it is used).

Since Claus has responded to Fred in a way in which I would entirely agree, there seems little more for me to say there, thanks Claus.

With respect to other comments on gold, then certainly gold production is labour intensive.   This limitation is itself  a result of the need to compress as much human labour as possible (socially, politically acceptable) into each ounce, to ensure that the maximum quantity of surplus labour is contained in each ounce, an aim that can be pursued since gold is not in competition with any other commodity for its role as money, and is not forced to cheapen itself.

Regards
Paul Bullock